Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The End of an Era

This month marked a milestone in our household. Our daughters graduated . . .er . . . .the correct term is "promoted," to the next level in their academic career. My eldest is now officially in high school and my middle child is off to junior high . . . . I mean . . . "middle school."

First of all, I do not remember any fanfare from either 6th grade or 8th grade when I left to continue my pursuit of the high school diploma. Secondly, where exactly does this leave my youngest son who is also moving on to a new level, but sadly fifth grade demands no laurels.
Finally, along with this new vernacular and ceremony, it seems as though the bar has been raised for us parents.

I filed into the gym for my eldest's graduation, dodging flying balloon bouquets and vying for a seat in the bleachers. In the same fashion, We crammed into the multi-purpose room (which was called the "cafeteria" in my day), of the elementary school to witness our offspring proudly collect their promotion certificate.

In both ceremonies, there were inspiring speeches from both elite adult members of our community as well as hand-picked students. Some produced yawns, others produced tears. Slide shows are the trend, although they can't be shown without technical difficulties -- one program had a fuzzy image, the other had muffled music. But they gave me a glimpse into my child's world . . . experiences they had without me. I dread that more of those will be coming.

We encountered the impossible people who were irritated that I didn't get the memo that the world revolves around them. You know the type -- aggravated because I requested that they lower their balloon bouquet from my line of vision or rolling their eyes when I politely informed them that the front row was reserved for students (did they really think the rest of us hadn't thought to sit there?)

I am home alone, resting my tired feet which are not used to walking around in heels. My kids are off at "promotion parties" and festivities that do not include many adults. Part of me is relieved for the homework, the projects, field trips, lunch-packing and classroom volunteering is over. The other half of me wonders where the time has gone.

Like Trace Atkins crooning in my ear, I am reminded that I waited for these days to come . . . and then they do. "That's how it is." And he is right, I can't believe what I miss. I want to see my daughter's Kindergarten production of "Commotion in the Ocean" again. I want to witness my son hit his first archery bullseye at Cub Scout Twilight camp. I want to get out my glue-gun and homemade clay and shape California's typography with their hands.

Small promotion, perhaps. They are only half-way there. I have less time with them now than when they were first born. In another seven years, they could be off at college. But I would have to agree, it is quite an accomplishment to come this far, and I am all for any opportunity to let my children know how dearly I love them, how much my heart bursts with pride and how I thank God every day for placing him in our family. For they are irreplaceable masterpieces that are covered in His fingerprints.

1 comment:

  1. The love you have for your children and the pride in their accomplishments flows from the words on this page. I also feel that love and pride as their grandmother, and I feel the ache of the years gone by too quickly. But they weren't meant to stay small for long. They have a purpose in life, and what a privilege it is to see that purpose unfold and they go through the awkward growing years and mature before our very eyes. They will do more and more without you, but as they hold you in their heart you'll always be close. How blessed are the parents and grandparents of those who have been raised in the love and nurture of the Lord!

    ReplyDelete