Sunday, July 4, 2010

Celebrating the 4th

Independence Day. The Fourth of July. Barbecues and fireworks. In my heart, it isn't just another holiday but one that stirs up a wonderful blend of memories, some of which are mine and some that were recorded by generations of proud Americans before me.

My father was born in July. He also passed away in July. He was a patriot at heart, collecting bald eagle figurines and American flags. He never missed the opportunity to vote and I can remember accompanying him into the mysterious voting booth on more than one occasion. Dad would tear up at the National Anthem and had a profound respect for those who served in the military. He passed the importance on to me. To be aware that I am living in a "wonderful Democratic Experiment." Men who were willing to leave prestige, wealth and privilege for the opportunity to worship their God and govern themselves.

I can recall bursting into a chorus of "Yankee Doodle" or "Grand Ole Flag" after my class at school had recited the Flag Salute. I practiced my cursive writing on the sayings of old and who said them. . . "A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned." (Benjamin Franklin) "Give me Liberty or give me Death." (Patrick Henry) "First in War, First in Peace and First in the hearts of his countrymen." (Henry Lee in honor of George Washington.) I recall the pomp and circumstance that followed the Bicentennial in 1976. The Quarter that was minted to commemorate the occasion.

Thomas Jefferson once warned that the same government who can promise you much, if given too much power will also be able to take it all away. The men who formed this country didn't depend on Government grants, programs or stomped their foot in defiance as they confused 'right' with 'privilege.' If our forefathers walked the streets of America today, would they recognize it? Was the Grand Experiment a success?

America sits on the globe as a beacon to those who live in poverty and oppression. The Nation Under God seeks to aid and support countries who groan under tyrants, not for the sake of taking them over and forcing them to become American, but because it was the belief of the writers of our Constitution that all men were created equal and are endowed by their Creator (a person) with certain unalienable rights. Among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Has the American spirit died? I would argue no. There are many monuments and moments which you can find it alive and well. Study the Statue of Liberty in New york harbor as she silently waits with her torch raised. Follow the path of a bald eagle as it soars high in the sky. Walk past the white tombstones of the hundreds of soldiers who bravely knew that freedom isn't free. Listen to the immigrants raise their hands and recite the Pledge.

We are the Melting Pot. The place where you can live out your heritage with the freedom of speech and religion. Where you can explore, dream, and obtain. God Bless America.

1 comment:

  1. "Give me your tired, your poor.
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
    Emma Lazarus, The Statue of Liberty

    ReplyDelete